Sunday, March 23, 2014


For Whom The Bell Tolls

Richard and I made a noble push along Bell Ridge, negotiating rocky climbs, steep descents, abyss-like ruts and man-grabbing foliage. At ride's end, it was only the lack of sunlight (days are short now) that stopped us from continuing on lap two. I jest. We weren't that strong. In truth, the five hours was well spent but a bit exhausting. I thought I would have enough fuel left over from Turkey day, but that wasn't the case. I found myself bogging down on the final climbs - bonking as it were - losing breath and energy over each small hilltop. Typically downhills are for recovery, but Bell takes it toll descending as well. I found myself at the mercy of gravity and terrain, out of breath and holding on. Next time I will eat more.

The views from Pinos Peak were stunning. This is the highpoint of the route, offering a panoramic view from the snowy San Bernadino Mountains to San Clemente Island. Richard pointed out where the 5 freeway winds over the ridge near Carmel Valley in Del Mar. Beyond that we could see the distant ridge lines of Mexico. Bell Ridge begins just a stone's throw from the peak. The trail requires several more climbs -steep, wearisome hike-a-bike ascents - and plenty of descending - steep descents, loose, rocky descents, and harrowing I-wish-I-wasn't-looking descents. We kept our tire pressure low, our skidding in control, walked some of the can't-see-bottom section (yes, it is that steep) and I even tripoded a bit. Our strategy was successful, we arrived back at the car with smiles of satisfaction.

No comments: