Sunday, February 19, 2012

2012 Wishlist

It's a bit late for this, but I've just had my birthday so here it goes:

1.  Ride East Horsethief.  I've never ridden the trail, and I've never ridden my bike to Lake Elsinore.  The trail does not go to the Lake, but close enough.  Years ago we used to windsurf Lake Elsinore.  We called it Lake Smell Some More, because it was icky and green, but I diverge.  East Horsethief has been recently brushed.  It is still rugged and remote, but still a trail I haven't ridden.  It also seems not to have the easement issues that make riding Coldwater such an ordeal.   East Horsethief seems to be decomposed granite - similar to Upper Holy Jim because it runs straight down the ridgeline.  Big views, lots of climbing and a technical descent, sounds like a good day in the Santa Anas.

2.  Ultraquest.  The hardest race you've never heard about.  Last year I had mechanical difficulties and kicked out early.  This year I'm in no shape to do the race, and the course seems harder..  But, I'm going to go out and do as much of the course as I can manage - till I drop or die (which may be the same thing).  The course covers many of my favorite trails:  Bell Ridge, Los Pinos, Yeager Mesa and San Juan.  I just never thought about doing all those trails in the same day.

3.  Kernville.  Was supposed to do the Cannell Plunge two years ago and had to cancel due to a family emergency.  I think 2012 is the year I make up that debt.

4. Jalama, Arroyo Laguna and Waddell.  That's windsurfing, and still a month off, but I ready to go and promise to post photos of cold water and waves and guys in thick neoprene.

5.  Moab.  It's time to go back.  Been too long.  A fall trip is in the works.

I will also be returning to Tahoe this summer to work and, hopefully, this year I will have my own bike.  So much to discover up there.  I think at least one SART trip is in order to.  I think it will be a good year.

David


No comments: